Generac Takes The Sizzle Out Of Summer
Summer days are notoriously hot, especially here in West Texas. However, you don’t have to worry about power outages if you have a backup generator. Generac takes the sizzle out of summer!
What’s The Big Deal, Anyway?
The heat alone does not cause power outages. The main causes of outages are caused be an increase in usage (or overload) and storms.
Overload – There is little need to keep the thermostat at 70 degrees during moderate temperatures. However, when the temps are in the triple digits, people are more likely to use fans and air conditioning. Spikes in electrical demand can overwhelm equipment used to deliver electricity. When this equipment fails, electricity to homes and businesses fails.
Storms – As beautiful and much-needed as summer storms are for West Texas, they can also be destructive. Wind, hail, and even tornados can topple electric lines. Trees branches can easily break off into transmission lines.
How Do I Get Power Back On?
According to Oncor, one of the largest providers in West Texas, there is a procedure for power outages. Be sure to contact your service provider as soon as possible to report the outage. However, here are some tips while you’re waiting for the power to come back on:
- Keep freezer and refrigerator doors closed to prevent food spoilage.
- Take a dip! If you’ve got a pool, now is the perfect opportunity to use it. If not, a cool shower should do the trick.
- Drink lots of water. Excessive perspiration can cause dehydration.
- Be sure to check on any elderly neighbors or on anyone who might need additional assistance.
- Be safe! Use candles instead of flashlights, be cautious while driving, and wear removable layers to prevent excessive body temperatures.
However, A Generac Takes The Sizzle Out Of Summer Outages
Installing a Generac brand backup generator can avoid all of the messy problems we discussed above. Not only do you keep cool, your home or business is protected.